Scholarship America's Dream Award has been established to assist students from across the nation entering their second year or higher of education beyond high school. Renewable scholarships are offered each year for full-time study at an accredited institution of the student's choice. The awards will grow in amount each year, allowing students to receive aid throughout their college careers.
This scholarship program is administered by Scholarship America, the nation's largest designer and manager of scholarship and tuition reimbursement programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals. Awards are granted without regard to color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, disability or national origin.
Applicants to the Scholarship America Dream Award must:
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Be U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident card), or individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA).
- Have received a high school diploma or the equivalent from a U.S. school by September 2015.
- Have completed or expect to successfully complete a minimum of one full year of postsecondary education by June 2016.
- Plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at the sophomore year level or higher at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school in the United States for the entire 2016-17 academic year.
- Be studying to obtain an associate's or first bachelor's degree.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
- Demonstrate financial need.
The number of awards granted will depend on the amount of funds available each year. In addition to the general awards, a portion of the funds has been designated for students majoring in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering or math) and a portion has been designated the World Journal Award for Chinese-American students.
Awards are for undergraduate study only.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive an award ranging from $5,000 to $15,000. Awards may be renewed for up to three additional years or until a bachelor's degree is earned, whichever occurs first. Renewal is contingent upon satisfactory academic performance in a full-time course of study. Each year of eligible renewal, the award will increase by $1,000.
Previous recipients are not eligible to reapply.
Awards are for undergraduate study only.
- Start by clicking Register to Apply at the bottom of this page. You will need to read and agree to a consent statement, supply a unique and valid email address, and create a username and password.
- Correspondence throughout the application process will be by email. Email messages will be sent to the username and email address registered when you created your account. Students failing to use a valid active email account that will accommodate bulk mail may not receive consideration. Be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts or address book and check your email regularly!
- Complete the application by entering data in the format described. Proper punctuation and standard capitalization (Jill Smith, 10 Main Street, New York, NY) must be used.
- During the application process, you may leave the site prior to submission by clicking on the Save and Log out link located on each application page. To return to the application, you must login using your username and password.
- Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore answer all questions as completely as possible.
- Applications must be submitted electronically by the deadline in order for your application to be processed.
- Once all application requirements are satisfied, the "Lock and Submit" button will be available to you near the bottom of the Review Application page.
- Carefully review your application before clicking the Lock and Submit button. Once submitted, you will no longer have access to your application.
- It is recommended that you print a hard copy of your application for your records.
- You will receive an email acknowledgment of your submitted application.
Your application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time, December 15, 2015.
Required Documents for Semifinalists only
Do not send these documents unless you are notified that you've been selected as a semifinalist in January.
Based on the information submitted on the electronic application, semifinalists will be selected by Scholarship America and notified by email in mid-January. Semifinalists will be asked to provide the following documents by January 29:
- A current, complete transcript of grades from all colleges, universities, or vocational-technical schools attended. Grade reports are not accepted. Unofficial or online transcripts must display student name, school name, grades and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken.
- A completed applicant appraisal form.
- Verification of financial need (copy of the first two pages of the most recently filed IRS Form 1040 or other document corresponding to financial information provided on the applicaton).
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or residency, such as a copy of one of the following: Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card or document of approval of DACA status.
Selection of Recipients
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, honors, work experience, statement of goals and aspirations and unusual personal or family circumstances that demonstrate the student has overcome barriers to success, and an outside appraisal. Financial need must be demonstrated and will be used to determine the amount of each award, ranging from $5,000 to $15,000.
An external selection committee comprised of educators and community leaders will select recipients. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Applicants will be notified of their status in mid-January. Semifinalists will be notified of their status in April. Not all semifinalists will be selected as recipients.
Payment of Scholarships
Scholarship America processes scholarship payments in equal installments on August 1 and December 15. A check is made payable to the student's school and mailed to each recipient's home address.
Recipients are required to fulfill the enrollment requirements of the award and to notify Scholarship America of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information, and to send a complete official transcript when requested.
Recipients may also be invited and strongly encouraged to attend promotional events.
Scholarship America reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Questions? Contact us:
Call: 1-507-931-1682 and ask for the Scholarship America Dream Award Program Manager.